Friday, June 28, 2013

...and then there was (will be) beer...

I've been slowly putting together a DIY brew kit for the past month or two.  I'm finally (almost) ready to start our first brew!  The beer in Korea really sucks, and because of strict tax laws for businesses that make alcohol, microbreweries are nonexistent.  All of the affordable domestic beers taste horrible, and buying a tasty import can run up to 8,000 or 9,000 won for a normal sized 335ml bottle (roughly 8 or 9 dollars).  So Alyssa and I (with the help of some friends) have decided to take the reigns and make our very own American style pale ale.

It's funny that it took us this long to decide to try, especially since we have friends/family who have been brewing for a while.  I guess the necessity dictated our decision.  We are both very excited.

My awesome parents sent me the ingredients for my birthday.  I just need 3 small pieces to get everything up and running (airlock, hydrometer, and thermometer).  I should be getting them in the mail any day now, so it's almost game time.  It should be easy enough considering we will be doing an extract brew rather than all grain.  We will be using SOME grain, but the majority will be dry malt extract.

I'm going to document and share the entire process here, so stay tuned!  Also, any tips would be greatly appreciated.  I know it's the experimentation that makes this such a great hobby for so many people, but this is our first time, and we just want something straightforward and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment